See the sights of Sintra and Cascais on a 7-hour, small group tour tailored to LGBT+travelers. Depart Lisbon for the west coast, and marvel at the fairytale castles and gardens of Sintra.
Lisbon Full-Day Trip to Gay Beach 19
Discover one of the best nude gay beaches in Europe.
- Transport in an air-conditioned, insured and licensed vehicle
- A friendly and English-speaking guide
- Beach towel
- Paper version of the Lisbon Gay Map & Guide
- Insurance cover, in accordance with national law
- 23% VAT
- Adult (Ages 18+)
All You Need to Know About Beach 19
What it is: Beach 19 is a very large gay nude beach which is part of a Nature Reserve. The name comes from the fact that the zone around the stop number 19 of the beach train became the area most popular with gays. It is officially a nude beach (by law) but you can opt between being naked or keeping your swimsuit on.
Where it is: Beach 19 is about 30 km South of Lisbon centre in the middle of a very long stretch of sand known as Costa da Caparica. North of Beach 19 is Praia da Bela Vista (also known as Beach 17) and this is where the car park and the closest bar/restaurant are located. South of Beach 19, you can find the small village of Fonte da Telha where you can also find some parking and several typical beach restaurants. The beach is located within the Nature Reserve of Paisagem Protegida da Arriba Fóssil da Costa da Caparica. This protected area was created to preserve the unique geological features present in the region.
When to go: You can enjoy nice beach days from May to October. It is also common to have warm weather on some days of April and November.
What to take: Bring sunblock (lots of it), sunglasses, sun umbrella, snacks & drinks, swimsuit (or not) and to be ready for anything, also bring condoms and lube.
What to do: Beach 19 is the perfect spot for sunbathing, swimming, cruising and making new friends. Enjoy a drink at the bar or watch the sunset. On the busiest days, you can buy drinks, snacks or even the pastry that Portuguese love to eat on the beach (bola de berlim) from vendors walking on the beach.
What not to do: Avoid leaving any trash behind and don’t smoke in the wooded areas due to fire hazard. The Atlantic ocean can be dangerous. Make sure you respect the beach flag color (in Beach 17) and don’t swim in case it is red or yellow.
- Easiest way to get to Beach 19. All you need to do is book in advance
- No need to find your way through the public transport system and spend up to two hours on each journey between Lisbon and the beach
- You can avoid car rental and therefore you won’t have to worry about driving and parking which can be a nightmare in Lisbon. And you can have as many drinks as you want on the beach
- No issues with explaining to a taxi driver the way to the beach and you do not have to worry if you will be able to find a taxi to return to Lisbon
- We take care of providing you with a beach towel to use during the day. We can even get you a sun umbrella and also a cooler with drinks
- Our Beach 19 tours offer the best value for money and the best experience for any traveller looking to spend a day or more on Beach 19
- Pick-up from the Lisbon Beach meeting point in centre of Lisbon (the pink kiosk in Príncipe Real garden)
- Crossing of the 25th of April bridge (Lisbon’s “golden gate”) with amazing views of Lisbon and the Statue of Cristo-Rei
- Arrival to Costa da Caparica and the Protected Area, with the opportunity to gaze at the stunning “fossil cliff” and the geo-history behind it
- Drop-off at Beach 17 (the end of the road) with full explanations on how to make the most of your Beach 19 day
- Free time for you to enjoy your Beach 19 day
- Meet at the bar of Beach 17 and return to Lisbon
- Departure from Lisbon at 12 or 12:30 p.m.
- Return from the beach around 7 – 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays & Sundays (July-September)
- Departure from Lisbon at 2 p.m.
- Return from the beach around 9-10 p.m. (late return to avoid the traffic)
Saturdays & Sundays
- Departure from Lisbon at 12 or 12:30 p.m.
- Return from the beach around 7:30 p.m.
- Go with us! Our Beach 19 Tours are the easiest, most comfortable and cost-effective way to visit Beach 19
- By car. If you have your own transport, use the map above to create your itinerary to Beach 19. Note that the car parking is at Beach 17
- By taxi. This can be tricky because most taxi drivers don’t know where or what Beach 19 is. Tell the driver to take you to Praia da Bela Vista, in Costa da Caparica. This is in fact Beach 17. A taxi ride from the centre of Lisbon to Beach 19 generally costs around 30-45€ (one way)
- By public transport. During the Summer months, you can use the small beach train. Take the TST bus number 153 from Praça de Espanha and exit in Costa da Caparica. Then take the beach train and exit on stop 19 (this is why the gay beach is called Beach 19). When the beach train is not operating, you will need to take the ferryboat from Cais do Sodré to Cacilhas, take either the TST bus number 127 or 145 from Cacilhas to Fonte da Telha. Then walk by the beach, heading north, for 10 minutes. Using public transport can take a considerable amount of time (up to 2 hours on each leg) versus only 40 minutes by car and can also be expensive
Destinos Possíveis and its brand Lisbon Beach are committed to sustainable tourism solutions that ensure adequate conservation of the environment and protect the human and biophysical values of protected areas. We are proudly recognized by the Portuguese Environment Conservation Agency (I.C.N.F.) as a provider of EcoTourism.
The Beach 19 trip will take you to the Protected Landscape of the Ancient Beach of Costa da Caparica. Therefore, as a participant of one of our tours, we would like to ask you to:
- Collect & dispose properly of any waste
- Refrain from collecting plants, animals or fossils
- Walk only in the already existing footpaths
- Don’t smoke in wooded areas due to fire hazard
- To make your beach day even more fantastic you can add to your Beach 19 Tour the use of a sun umbrella (4€) and also a cooler with drinks (16€). Book in advance to ensure availability
- During the weekends of July, August, and September, we also provide either a 30-min (30€) or a 60-min (55€) massage treatment for your body
- To book a massage treatment, please contact email: [email protected] or WhatsApp: (+351) 965 667 041
Our Beach 19 Tours can be cancelled due to weather conditions. In this instance, we will offer our booked guests the following options:
- Re-schedule your beach tour to another date, if this is convenient with you.
- An alternative tour, such as the Lisbon West Coast Tour of Belém, Cascais and Sintra will be offered as an option to you. A price difference may exist, if that is the case, you will be charged for any extra cost or refunded for any excess payment.
- A full-refund of any payments you have done to secure your booking for the Beach 19 Tour.
If you would like to cancel your booking, please do so in advance (7 days minimum). In this case, you will be fully-refunded. If you do not inform us of your cancellation with at least 7 days in advance, we will not be able to refund any payments you may have done to secure your booking. Please read our Terms & Conditions for further details.